Sunday, February 23, 2014

BENCH BUIDING TIPS

 
 
I learned long ago to focus negative energy on getting something wonderful accomplished
and thats how this new bench came to be built from a midcentury bed frame.
 
 
I use to build benches often back when I was doing my driftwood furniture
Its a bit different now when you are using a bedframe from the 50s vrs.
raw tree parts that have floated down the river.
 
 
This footboard measured 50" wide, divide that by half you get 25"
which is way to deep for bench arms.
So when you use a foot board for your bench sides you are going to loose a
good size piece in the middle as you can see below. 
 

 
 
I secured the sides into place with 4" screws.
 
 
Next I cut a 2" x 4" to be the front cross support.
 
 
Mark the height your cross piece needs to sit at and when you dont have
a helping hand you can use a pair of clamps to hold your board in place as you screw it in.
 
 

 
 
I added some decorative angles under the 2 x 4 for added strength.

 
This piece is being used in our Mudroom:
http://blogspot.ca/2013/08/mud-room-make-over.html

No comments:

Post a Comment