Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Making A New Turning Saw Part II


Well, I shouldnt have been so overly optimistic about how much I would get done in Part II. I did make some progress, but Im no where near finished. What else is new?

I started on the stretcher: cutting the curve with my remaining turning saw (the one that was supposed to replace the prototype, but which I dont enjoy that much), truing the curve with a round sole spokeshave, removing the old finish with a jack plane, and beveling the edges with both round and flat sole spokeshaves. Here are a few shots of the results:






I didnt finish the arms of the frame, which Salaman refers to as "cheeks", but I did get them roughed out with the saw:



The inside curve was awkward, but I found a way to get at it. And sawing while kneeling on the floor was kinda fun...


And finally, heres a shot of the saw so far:


Its still a little chunky, and a bit on the heavy side, but I think the final shaping will take care of both of those problems.


No comments:

Post a Comment