Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Wind chimes

Ive been thinking about making a set of wind chimes for quite some time. It was one of the projects for which I was considering using the bamboo that eventually became my shishi-odoshi.

My main criterion for a set of wind chimes was that it not be annoying. I have encountered many that are too high-pitched, atonal, or just produce a clacking racket. What I do enjoy listening to in a gentle breeze are low, dulcet tones.

Soon after I began researching wind chime design, I came across An Engineering Approach to Wind Chime Design, by Lee Hite. No other research was needed on my part: Lee has done it all in one comprehensive web site. Its a really easy weekend project, so if you decide to make a set, spend a little time learning how to make them sound pleasant.

I made mine using scrap wood and inexpensive 1" electrical conduit. It has five deep tones that sound harmonious.

*****




No comments:

Post a Comment